Monday, October 3, 2016

Map of 1830 Canals

Below is a link to David Rumsey's web site of maps. It's probably the best site on the web for old maps. The software is great for zooming in on locations. The link below is to a particular map that will help you to see where canals had been built by 1830. Believe it or not, there were some already ceasing function for newer canals with straighter routes to ports or destinations.

1830 Map of Internal Transportation of the United States. Please note this map is for all of the canals in the U.S. at that time. It's a great map. imho

Note that the yellow lines are proposed canals. The red lines are current canals and the red lines with black track marks within it are railroad lines. Green are proposed railroads.

Personally, I love old maps, I have ever since I was a kid. I had quite a collection at one time. The older the better for me. But unfortunately I hit my teen years and didn't have much use for maps. Thankfully, David Rumsey has put his entire collection online and it doesn't take up room on my walls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment