Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Fanny Crosby

One of my favorite hymn writer's is Fanny Crosby. On this Sunday morning sing with me the hymn Fanny wrote in 1869 known today as "Near the Cross"

"Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross" (1869)
[aka "Near the Cross"]
Words by Francis "Fanny" Jane Crosby
[Mrs. Alexander Van Alstyne], 1820-1915
Music by William Howard Doane, 1832-1915

1.
Jesus, keep me near the cross--
There a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream,
Flows from Calv'ry's mountain.

CHORUS
In the cross, in the cross
Be my glory ever,
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest, beyond the river.

2.
Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
Sheds its beams around me.

3.
Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day
With its shadows o'er me.

4.
Near the cross I'll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand
Just beyond the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment